Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Castro resigns


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/19/wcastro219.xml


Fidel Castro resigns as president of Cuba
By Bonnie Malkin
Last Updated: 11:46am GMT 19/02/2008



Fidel Castro has resigned after 50 years as president and commander in chief of Cuba, leaving power in the hands of his brother Raul.

How will history judge Fidel Castro?
Raul, a man of steel and a true communist
Resignation statement in full | Castro in quotes
In a message published in the online version of the official state newspaper Granma, he said he would not return to lead the country.


Castro took power in a 1959 revolution
"To my dear compatriots, who gave me the immense honour in recent days of electing me a member of parliament... communicate to you that I neither will aspire to nor will I accept - I repeat - I neither will aspire to nor will I accept, the position of president of the council of state and commander in chief."

"It would betray my conscience to take up a responsibility that requires mobility and total devotion, that I am not in physical condition to offer," he said.

Castro's message came just five days before a historic session in the National Assembly in which he was up for reelection for another five-year mandate.

But the National Assembly is now expected to nominate his brother and designated successor Raul Castro, 76, as president.